Well, I'm excited to announce after working on this project for over a year now, the app is done. The SpiderOak 2.0 mobile app for iOS is now designed, developed and available for download on the iOS App Store.
Some takeaways I've learned from redesigning an app from the ground up over a year-long process.
- Operating systems update and change
- Two OS updates - iOS 5-6 (iOS 6 changed many UI elements)
- Design trends change
- We called an audible, changing the entire menu structure a couple of times.
- Screen sizes change
- Designing for Android made this less of an issue for me.
- Minimum requirements change
- SpiderOak's feature set and mobile API has updated many times in a year, and our feature set has grown substantially.
- Many of them have come in the last month, so be adaptable (not just be willing to adapt - but actually adapt).
- Make sure your designs and specs are scalable to include last minute changes that make sense to everyone involved in writing and testing.
Now to work on some updates...